Caution: The Get Transcript Service is for individual taxpayers to retrieve their own transcripts for their own purposes. Use by any other entities is prohibited.

You can get various Form 1040-series  transcript types  online or by mail. If you need your prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)  to e-file, choose the  tax return transcript  type when making your request. To find out how much you owe or to verify your payment history, you can view your tax account .

The method you used to file your tax return, e-file or paper, and whether you had a balance due, affects your  current year transcript availability Note:  If you need a photocopy of your return, you must use  Form 4506 .

Request Online

What You Need

To register and use this service, you need:

  • your SSN , date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return,
  • access to your email account,
  • your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
  • a mobile phone with your name on the account.

What You Get

  • All transcript types are available online
  • View, print or download your transcript
  • Username and password to return later

Get Transcript Online

Request by Mail

What You Need

To use this service, you need your:

What You Get

  • Return or Account transcript types delivered by mail
  • Transcripts arrive in 5 to 10 calendar days at the address we have on file for you

Get Transcript by Mail

Where's My Refund?

Use the " Where’s My Refund? " tool to check your refund status

Visit our  Get Transcript frequently asked questions (FAQs)  for more information. If you're trying to get a transcript to complete FAFSA, refer to  tax Information for student financial aid applications .    

CAUTION:  We never call or send email or text messages asking you to provide information or log in to obtain a transcript or update your profile. Visit  report phishing  for instructions if you are unsure about the authenticity of any "unsolicited" communication you receive, other than US mail, claiming to be from the IRS.