Register for a Stimulus Payment
If you did not file a 2018 or 2019 federal tax return because your income was too low, use the Non-Filers: Enter Your Info Here tool to register for an Economic Impact Payment (or stimulus check).
IRS Free File
IRS Free File lets you prepare and file your federal income tax online for free. File at an IRS partner site with the IRS Free File Program or use Free File Fillable Forms. It's safe, easy and no cost to you.
Pick an option based on your income
Income $69,000 and below:
- Free federal tax filing on an IRS partner site
- State tax filing (free with some offers)
- Guided preparation – simply answer questions
- Online service does all the math
Income above $69,000:
- Free electronic forms you fill out and file yourself
- No state tax filing
- You should know how to prepare paper forms
- Basic calculations with limited guidance
The IRS Free File Program is a public-private partnership between the IRS and many tax preparation and filing software industry leaders who provide their brand-name products for free. It provides two ways for taxpayers to prepare and file their federal income tax online for free:
- Traditional IRS Free File provides free online tax preparation and filing options on IRS partner sites. Our partners are online tax preparation companies that develop and deliver this service at no cost to qualifying taxpayers. Please note, only taxpayers whose adjusted gross income (or AGI) is $69,000 or less qualify for any IRS Free File partner offers.
- Free File Fillable Forms are electronic federal tax forms you can fill out and file online for free. If you choose this option, you should know how to prepare your own tax return. Please note, it is the only IRS Free File option available for taxpayers whose income (AGI) is greater than $69,000.
Find what you need to get started, your protections and security, available forms and more about IRS Free File below.
IRS Free File partners are online tax preparation companies that offer IRS Free File at no cost to qualifying taxpayers. The partners are part of the Free File Alliance , which coordinates with the IRS to provide their services to you This non-profit, public-private partnership is dedicated to helping millions of people prepare and file their federal taxes online for free.
The IRS does not endorse any individual partner company.
Personal Information You Need
- A copy of last year's tax return in order to access your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
- Valid Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any dependent, if applicable
Income and Receipts
- Social Security benefits
- Unemployment Compensation
- All receipts pertaining to your small business, if applicable
- Income receipts from rental, real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporation, trusts
- W-2s , showing your annual wages from all of your employers
- Form 1099-INT , showing interest paid to you throughout the year
- Form 1099-G , showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
- Forms 1099-DIV and 1099-R , showing dividends and distributions from retirement and other plans paid to you during the year
- Form 1095-A , Health Insurance Marketplace Statement. For more information see Affordable Care Act (ACA) Tax Provisions .
- Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
- Verify your identity by using your 2018 AGI. If you created a 2018 personal identification number, that will work too. The personal identification number required that you create a five-digit PIN that could be any five numbers (except all zeros) that you choose which serves as your electronic signature.
Don't have your
or PIN? If you do not have a copy of your 2018 tax return, you may use the
IRS Get Transcript self-help tools
to get a tax return transcript showing your
. You have two options:
- Online: Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry. Secure Access: How to Register for Certain Online Self-Help Tools provides you with the information you need to make the request.
- By Mail: Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery. Use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.
- To get a notification from the Free File software company that your return was accepted by IRS, you need a valid email address.
Your information is protected from any unauthorized access while it is sent to the IRS. Free File partner companies may not disclose or use tax return information for purposes other than tax return preparation without your informed and voluntary consent. These companies are also subject to the Federal Trade Commission Privacy and Safeguards Rules and IRS e-file regulations.
We do not collect or retain information about you when you use IRS Free File. Our policy prohibits the use of permanent Internet cookies. We sometimes use “temporary” or “session” cookies to make sure you are the correct recipient of information you requested. These are deleted when your Internet visit ends.
Under IRS Free File, you have the right to:
- Get a free federal tax return. As long as you qualify for the selected partner's IRS Free File offer, you must not be charged for preparation and e-filing of a federal tax return.
- Be protected from unnecessary fees. Other than state tax preparation fees and a possible fee if you choose to continue with tax preparation when you don’t qualify for IRS Free File offer, you must not be offered or solicited marketing, promotional rebates, or any other form of selling activity on the partner company’s IRS Free File website. Any state preparation or non-qualifying fees must be disclosed on the company’s IRS Free File landing page.
- Be guided in your choices. If you find you don’t qualify for a partner company’s IRS Free File offer after visiting their website, you may return to the IRS.gov Free File website to seek another Free File online offer. Each IRS Free File company will provide you information when you don’t qualify, with the option to link back to the IRS.gov Free File site to select another company.
- Get help if you need it . If you need help when you are at an IRS partner company’s IRS Free File site and doing your taxes, you may refer to the company’s free customer service options.
- Be reminded of IRS Free File. If you used IRS Free File last year, you should receive an email from the same partner company that you used, welcoming you back to IRS Free File. The email should include a link to the company’s IRS Free File site and explain how to file with it.
- Be protected from bank product fees. As part of IRS Free File, you must not be offered any bank products that often carry product fees, such as Refund Anticipation Loans or Refund Anticipation Checks.
- Get help finding a free option for you. IRS offers an IRS Free File online look-up tool to help you find an offer that best meets your needs.
- Get important information on possible charges for state returns. Many IRS Free File Program partner companies offer free state tax preparation. Some charge a state fee. Be sure to read each company’s information carefully.
Please note you can only file your current year tax return using IRS Free File. You cannot process a prior year return using IRS Free File.
Prior year returns can only be filed electronically by registered tax preparers for the two previous tax years. The IRS does not allow electronic filing for prior year returns through self-preparation websites. You must print, sign, and mail prior year returns. Our Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers with Credentials and Select Qualifications can help you find preparers in your area who currently hold professional credentials recognized by the IRS, or who hold an Annual Filing Season Program Record of Completion. You can also check the professional organizations many tax preparers belong to.
To view your balance owed, payment history or other information from your tax account, create or view your account .
Get up-to-date information on your refund .
Always remember to print your return after you successfully file online. If you forget to print your return, you can order a free transcript . Depending on the type of transcript you request, you'll get more or less of the information from your return.
You can use Direct Pay to pay your individual tax bill or estimated tax payment from your checking or savings account for free.